Tower of Babel construction site. Active war zone under attack from Heaven and earth. Heads up!
My Teachers College Columbia University Ed.D. dissertation: "Communication: The Social Matrix of Supervision of Psychotherapy"
(1994; UMI #9511056). Personal experience, Gregory Bateson "Communication: The Social Matrix of Psychiatry",
Jurgen Habermas's "discourse ethics"....
Robert O. McClintock
To earn a "living" ("pragmatic agenda" ☠), I wage-slaved 40+ years as a computer programmer, much of it life wasted. Passum sub iugum. I was childreared by benighted anti-sexuals, in the Dark Age of "in loco parentis".
Clifford Stoll anent computer research and social praxis:
"Data is not information,
information is not knowledge,
knowledge is not understanding, and
understanding is not wisdom."
"Seedcorn scattered to the wind, knowledge for whoever finds." (Norbert Elias)
"What is the truth, and here did it go?" (Bob Dylan) / "What good is it?" (BMcC[18-11-46-503])
|• ||Remember! (Je me souviens) ✡|
|• || False memories and false people|
|• || Respect your betters! (Symmetry and reversibility)|
|• ||Psychic deadness |
|• || What secrets tell|
|• || Life Lite (La vita leggera)|
|• ||A perfect conversation: Westport Connecticut Mentalité|
|• ||⇒ Suburbia! |
|• || Fopland|
|• ||"Innocence" and Purgatory ☺|
|• ||Our century: The century of barbed wire|
|• ||⇒ "War Seen from the Grassroot Perspective" (Hermann Friedrich Honnold, ex-combatant)|
|• || Freedom of expression attacked: School Teacher decapitated, +2020.10.16|
|• || Each person is a Judge of the World; every day is Judgment Day|
|• ||Mental health professionals: Helpers and hurters|
|• ||Psychoanalysis: Liberation or neo-repression?|
|• ||The persecution of Masud Khan|
|• ||⇒ What BRADFORD means|
|• ||I was the indifference Imagine!|
|• ||"It's no big deal, Brad"|
|• ||Some personal things Imagine!|
|• ||Imagery of me (BMcC)|
|• ||⇒ I am a failed philosopher|
|• ||Objectivated spirit (Objektive Geist)|
|• ||Education: Learning to write, then, hopefully, to write well (Also: About my reading)|
|• ||"No wind blows in favor of that ship which has no port of destination"|
|• || Testing: The 3rd technology/pedagogy of the word ☺|
|• ||Grading: |Higher Lower Mathematics ☺
|• ||⇒ St. Paul's Day Carcel for Pubescent Male Virgins except-for-don't-ask-don't-tell-sex-for-jocks Imagine!|
|• ||Playing and reality|
|• ||Why I (BMcC) did not go to M.Arch. school (1982) ☺|
|• ||Design for a psychotherapist office|
|• ||Teaching / Teachable moments|
|• ||I received the stigmata (small time)|
|• ||⇒ BMcC Ed.D. dissertation: "Communication: The Social Matrix of Supervision of Psychotherapy"|
|• ||Work: My work life as a computer programmer wage-slave while trying to have a life of the mind|
|• ||A job is a Job|
|• ||⇒ "White collar workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your office cubicles!"|
|• ||Sic semper tyrannis!|
|• ||Computers should respect persons, not vice versa|
|• ||A good manager, honorable salesman (my father)|
|• ||Earning a living v. living (The killjoy solution)|
|• ||⇒ The unknown story of an American icon ("Star and bars" ✪)|
|• ||⇒ "For the spirit alone lives; all else dies"|
|• ||⇒ "Philosophy and the crisis of European humanity" (Edmund Husserl, 1935)|
|• ||"The greatest phenomenon in phenomenology is Fink"|
|• ||What is metaphysics?|
|• ||♲ Two paths for thinking|
|• ||Is does not imply ought|
|• ||Unconcealment, or: the limit of understanding|
|• ||Man and God|
|• ||What is pragmatic agenda? Why is it bad? ☠|
|• ||WASTE MANAGEMENT ☠|
|• ||BARBERISM! HAARSCHNITT MACHT FREI ☠|
|• ||Barbarism Part 2: Circumcision|
|• ||The peremptory discourse of petty power: "Only if you want to!" ☺|
|• ||It's Alice Miller time (Childrearing v. child)|
|• ||"Don't leave, mommy! Please! Don't abandon me to die!" ☠|
|• ||I (BMcC) was the indifference Imagine!|
|• ||The banality of evil (into the Abwelt / die Scheißestückwelt)|
|• ||Shame! The de-erotization of the human lifeworld ☠|
|• ||Smiling faces tell lies ☺|
|• ||Fear of left McCarthyism: Ethical cleansing ☠|
|• ||The Woke darkness|
|• ||Black lives matter: But in what way?|
|• ||The Angela Davis Loving Bourgeoisie (ADLB)|
|• ||Postmodernist architecture is disgusting ☺|
|• || Robert Venturi: the Ronald |Reagan McDonald of American architecture ☺
|• ||Ethnicity v. modernity|
|• ||Modernity v. "Modernity"|
|• ||Mannerism is not just a triumph of manners|
|• ||Naive/primitive/folk art v. fashionista art|
|• ||My war with Patek Philippe SA ☺ (and more)|
|• ||Something possible for a middle class American (Also: Priceless treasure less than US$3)|
|• ||Rescripting some myths (Notice everything!)|
|• ||Capitali$m v. ☭communism|
|• ||⇒ Capitali$m is a threat to civilization in the age of computerized records|
|• ||Zero tolerance! Historical assessment of Ronald & Nancy Reagan |
|• ||Now let me pray (St. Bertolt of Brecht)|
|• ||"Do gooders"|
|• ||My patron saint (Göedicke of the Landwehr)|
|• ||Finally! A useful Deity!|
|• ||Example applied prayer|
|• ||Architecture and morality: "Bauen, wohnen, denken"|
|• ||Ornament is crime|
|• ||Wohin, Woher, Wozu, Dichter?|
|• ||⇒ Hermann Broch | H.F. Broch de Rothermann (BMcC's Vienna)|
|• ||Luxe, calme et volupté (Henri Matisse)|
|• ||Directing desire|
|• ||"For the mindful god abhors untimely growth" (Holderlin)|
|• ||We stand on the shoulders of flawed giants|
|• ||Hello, Frank Lloyd Wright!|
|• ||"Sleepers awake!" (The East is Red!)|
|• ||Some philosophical thoughts: I am tired of truth! |
|• ||Childrearing: What Husserl called "the natural attitude" is not natural|
|• ||Where's Waldo? (Look in the mirror!) ☺|
|• ||Term paper for for Fall Semester 2021 apocryphal course: alt-Plato
|• ||Thoughts about house cats|
|• ||"Killing the Cats" (Prof. Walter G. Andrews, +2008.12)|
|• ||Schrödinger's cat (Poor kitty!)|
|• ||A house cat in a box|
|• ||The China virus (Covid-19)|
|• ||Apocryphal course for Fall Semester 2020 (+ Extra credit submission)|
|• ||Replace unsanitary, barbaric hand-shaking with respectful bowing|
|• ||Fun: Some good stuff (Really)|
|• ||⇒ La société des non écoutés|
|• ||True Faith Triptych (BMcC masterpiece web artwork)|
|• ||Puns & Riddles: Plunge into the depths of Despair ☢|
|• ||Just so stories (Also: My office)|
|• ||Grumble, grumble...|
|• ||Lists of stuff|
|• ||"Where words fail, music speaks"|
|• || Things I'd like to talk about with you or someone|
|• ||Evil and its Forgiveness (G.W.F. Hegel)|
|• ||Conversation with The Grim Reaper|
|• ||Invisible Elephants in the Room|
|• ||Depression is aim-inhibited rage|
|• ||"This store sells rotten chicken!"|
|• ||Politeness kills|
|• ||Ta-boo-hoo-s (Forbidden things)|
|• ||Individuality and Society (Cannibalism) ☠|
|• || Σ (Summing up and going on...)|
|• ||Thank you, Robbie, for letting me study/play here|
|• ||Playing and reality|
|• ||♲ There is no last word ⇒|
|• ||Meta-reflections on the present web pages|
|• ||Wayback Machine BMcC old personal website|
|• ||Images / Links / Index / Glossary|
|• ||Change log: What's new, or not, here?|
• Treat every statement anybody (myself included!) makes as a question, not as an assertion.
• Prove all things; hold fast [only] that which is good → consign everything else to an archive for ethnographic reference.
If learning is not pleasurable, something is wrong with the learning environment. Give me freedom from enterpri$e, not "free enterpri$e". My favorite author: Hermann Broch. I love house cats (esp.: "the gentle giants": Maine Coons). I am a: failed philosopher.
May you find some value here, and, although what I write about is largely not happy, some enjoyment!
I do not like "change". Always: Add value! (Invenit et fecit)
- ↑ Previous education: I graduated from Yale College in 1968, Summa cum Laude → as I describe it: by avoidance. I avoided every course that I thought I might get a bad grade in or which had a long reading list. I also graduated: idiot, because, as a person without preexisting social connections, I did not take advantage of the opportunity to make some. But that is not quite accurate: I was not even aware that I should or could make connections, or perhaps even what connections are. I was always afraid of the "Or else!" of getting a bad grade, so I did little other than study. I now wish I had tried to get into Scroll and Key, which would have made me a secret society colleague of Fareed Zacharia. Fool, me!
- ↑ What is being a computer programmer worker or just doing computer programming apart from working like? I've never tried to build a ship model in a bottle but I think it is something that trying to do it would make me want me to smash the whole goddamned thing and that's what computer programming or writing Wiki pages, etc. often feels like to me. It's claustrophobic. And here is the bitterest joke of all on me (BMcC[18-11-46-503]): As a young person I got into doing it because I thought it would be pure reason and logic raised high above material things. Ha! Ha!
- ↑ "In loco parentis" translates to: parents are insane.
- ↑ Let me give credit to techies where credit is due: In Septenber 2020, it has been over 20 years since HTML 4.01 became a standard in December 1999. I like HTML 4.01 because it gave me the power to produce elegant web pages, but also techno-naive grandmothers could use it to make webpages of their grandchildren to share with their old biddie friends. Current web browsers still render HTML 4.01/3.2 correctly.
Most techies never honored SGML. But at least techno-lefties (of whatever political persuasion, including new-feudalism in AI/VR space) still have not yet exterminated HTML 4.01/3.2 in their march to obscurantist new-release topia. If I could afford it, I'd drink a toast of Green Chartreuse V.E.P. to that (and in that way they might learn that such a thing exists)!
- ↑ A higher education 3 R's: Research recovers the repressed.
- ↑ Salvatore Ferragamo (fashion house) advertising slogan.
- ↑ "The party is my vehicle, never my master." (John Kasich)
- ↑ Hermann Broch: "Raised high above the clamour of the non-existent."
- ↑ Ethically, this means: If I do not care about you, I should have no reason to expect you to care about me. If you do not care about me, you should have no reason to expect me to care care about you. Unless all lives matter, those persons who are not part of the subset of lives that do matter are thereby put on notice that they do not matter. They have been warned to look out for themselves, for the persons who think they themselves do matter will, at best, not look out for them, and said persons further may deem it appropriate exploit them, qua objects, for their benefit.
- ↑ Heidegger: "What endures in thinking is the process of thinking." Thinking [dialog, whether talking with others, or just: "self-talk"] itself is the bedrock reality. Any attempt to get "under" it is just part/more of it → ∴ Cultivate it, reflect on it, nurture it, because it's all you've really got.
- ↑ Richard Sugarman and Roger Duncan, "The promise of phenomenology", p.ix. I (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) would argue that the essence of metaphysics is dialog, also.
- ↑ I think we can be more precise here: I am a failed life in a failed social surround which failed to childrear me in a constructive way and failed to connect me with any persons who could have been constructive for my living. They should have been like a redirect in a computer file directory.
When John F. Kennedy was assassinated, I was in math class. I felt nothing about what was going on, and while everybody else in the school rushed to the chapel where a television set was presumably running, I stayed in the painted cinderblock walled classroom where the event had disrupted math class and I was mainly attentive of the room's painted cinderblock walls. "My country" had done nothing for me; it did not dawn on me to think of doing anything for "my country" because I had not learned that anybody or anything could do anything for anybody or anything -- I was vaguely aware of hurting, which is a bio-neurological reaction. But even being hurt was something I had not been given the proper categorial apparatus to thematically constitute. A kind of negation of the Kantian a priori structure of experience. I just vaguely wished "them" to go away. I did not have the awareness to THINK: "I wish these horrible people would stop hurting me but I dare not say anything to them because they have power to hurt me and they will only hurt me more if I do anything that annoys them. Eppur si muove."
- ↑ Also note, in case it is not obvious, that my (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) webpages contain a lot of what in movies and computer applications are called "Easter eggs".
- ↑ In my now 74 years of life, I have often found that "change" is a euphemism for: We persons in power are going to take away from you something you like but we don't care about [you] and give you trouble. I am heartily in favor of change that builds on what I value to add new value to it, and/or takes away something/someone that gives me trouble.
My (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) pages here have been created with the enormmous advantage of not having to waste each day subjecting myself to a job that was causing me to waste my life, lose my mind (memory and spirit) and wish to be dead, but with the disadvantage of physical impingements including edema in my ankles and what my primary care physician thinks may be emphysema, etc. Adding it all up, it has been in the black not the red on the balance sheet of my daily living these days. My desire to get out of bed and write here has outweighed the difficulty of doing so. Excelsior!