"Not yet and yet already." (Hermann Broch)
"...the root of history is the working, creating human being who reshapes and overhauls the given facts. Once he has grasped himself and established what is his, without expropriation and alienation, in real democracy, there arises in the world something which shines into the childhood of all and in which no one has yet been: homeland." (Ernst Bloch)
"The war is over. You have come home, while yet there is time." (BMcC[18-11-46-503]; my hope)
The events and persons in this website are fictitious. Any simarity to actual persons and events are unintentional.
....it was in Bosnia, the biggest single act of ethnic cleaning I had witnessed to date.... and there was an old man who stopped to talk to us.... and he was 80 years old and he looked as though he had already died.... and I asked him do you mind if I ask you Are you a Croat or a muslim? And he said, "I'm a musician".... (BBC World Service, June 26, 2022 03:00AM-06:00AM BST, Internet Archive)
I try to produce a website that is both intellectually substantive and esthetically elegant, using only primitive web applications to create technically simple static web pages (I would have preferred an Internet all directly built with SGML). "God is in the details." (Mies van der Rohe)
Everywhere I go, here I am. Please excuse and appreciate that what I have written is often not what I would autochthously have meant to write, because my mental and emotional reflexes were relentlessly trampled upon by my benighted childrearenders (aka: parents and teaches; like in an automobile crash...) who were determined to make me believe and feel what they had been socially conditioned to believe they were supposed to make me believe and feel, instead of nurturing my own innate faculty of judgment -- as if I was their goose for foie gras.
So this website is "warts and all". But better to try to risk being honest than to look better than my social surround of origin which shaped my biological and pedagogical progenitors shaped them to shape me to be, and let them get away with it scot-free. I think I would not have any warts had they not infected me with their semiotic wart virus. Wilfred Bion wrote:
All social customs are shared hallucinoses aka social psychoses.
Not good, but less bad, to be spiritually cripped than to have that psychotic disorder normatively socially conditioned people ideate (not: self-accountably THINK...) to be "being normal". I do my best, and revise frequently even if often too late for it to matter. I keep trying, and failing, and falling....
Not only is no thought ever final for anyone (read here), but "my thoughts" are often not my own (autochthonously arising...) thoughts, which latter I may belatedly recover after I have defensively said something I didn't exactly mean, to try to protect my soul from their intrusions → when it's too late. I suffer from chronic l'esprit d'escalier.
I hope you will find value in what I have done. (There's even some amusements.) The site is large, currently: 457 pages, 1,178 different images and more than 10,945 hyperlinks. Be forewarned that I am neither politically correct nor woke. Please start here
"When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak, for we were not meant to survive." (Audre Lorde, via Marco Romano) Let me know your considered thoughts: positive, negative or other, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Here, let's engage work as the work of peers.
Shakespeare lived an ordinary life, just like you.
This is a metaphysics-free zone.
- ↑ I (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) have no knowledge or even hearsay of anything not in the public domain. Therefore no credible classified information can be extracted from me under torture. Because of my ignorance, I reserve the right to run my mouth off on any controversial subject, and anyone who learns of anythng I say or write is consequently logically at liberty to dismiss it as mere personal opinion just like any other lay person running their mouth off, such as, perhaps, some putative petty felon college dropout who might try to pass a forged banknote somewhere. Caveat lector!
- ↑ The images I have here are often not as I (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) would like them. In particular, I generally cannot align stuff to pixel perfect precision. They are the best I can do with the poor tools I have, so kindly try to imagine them as more "professionally" done than they are.
- ↑ Peregrinatio in stabilitate. Art Appel, an IBM Research employee, had posted on his office door: "Three things are not possible: The desire of the rich to have more, the desire of the sick for something different, and the desire of the traveler to be any place but here."
- ↑ To err is human, and this website has gotten so complex that⁁seems to me (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) highly unlikely I haven't messed up some stuff in it, especially by 𝄆my very efforts to keep everything straight𝄇. Believe it or not, I (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) do believe I have verified that every page here can be accessed starting at the index page without cheating by accessing it from an audit page.. You may find some factually incorrect sentences here, and . Please let me know the corrections (email@example.com). I do sincerely hope, however, that yourself, like Marshall McLuhan and Masud Khan, value spirit/soul-expanding playful errors more than merely denotatively factually correct Ascii character strings, except, of course, in misfortunate situations of peril. Reality is a thing to be overcome.
- ↑ The word by way of preface which seeks to break through the screen stretched between the author and the reader by the book itself does not give itself out as a word of honor. But it belongs to the very essence of language, which consists in continually undoing its phrase by the foreword or the exegesis, in unsaying the said, in attempting to restate without ceremonies what has already been ill understood in the inevitable ceremonial in which the said delights. (Emanuel Levinas, "Totality and Infinity", 1961/1969, p. 30)
- ↑ Note on date format: Prof. McClintock and I have had some interactions about how to format dates. All my life I have been repulsed by American date and time formats. Prof. McClintock thought up one thing and I have built on his idea for dates. As for the "v" numbers, I "have a thing" about audit trails and keeping track of things. If ever anybody complains about one of my webpages here itself, as opposed to its semantic content, I want to know what version of the page they are referring to, so as not to try the wrong defendant.
- ↑ I (BMcC[18-11-46-503]) maintain and continue to elaborate (Crescit eundo) this website using several Julia scripts which automate most of this work: here. The link count is extremely conservative; by a liberal accounting it might be more than doubled.
- ↑ Should a period that is not part of the quoted text be inside or outside the ending quote mark? I find neither alternative satisfactory but I find most displeasing of all to be told what to do. Everything should be up for grabs, shouldn't it? See: here